Welcome to another delicious adventure in the kitchen! Today, we’re diving into a world of flavors with a playful twist on a classic favorite – Chocolate Chip Banana Snack Cake.
This delightful treat combines the comforting sweetness of ripe bananas with the decadent richness of chocolate chips. So grab your apron and let’s get baking!
Table of Contents
What is Chocolate Chip Banana Snack Cake?
Imagine a moist, tender cake infused with the irresistible aroma of freshly mashed bananas. Now picture bursts of gooey chocolate chips in every bite, adding a delightful surprise to each mouthful. That’s exactly what you can expect from this mouthwatering creation.
This recipe is not only quick and easy but also versatile. It’s perfect as an afternoon snack, a lunchbox treat, or even a casual dessert for any gathering. Whether you’re a passionate baker or just starting out, this recipe will become a staple in your repertoire.
Why You’ll Love this Recipe
Have you ever found yourself with overripe bananas sitting on your kitchen counter? Instead of tossing them out, turn them into a delectable snack cake!
The combination of sweet bananas and rich dark chocolate creates a flavor profile that’s hard to resist. Plus, it’s a fantastic way to sneak some extra fruit into your diet, making it semi-healthy – or at least that’s what I like to believe!
Other Banana Recipes
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar: Provides a subtle caramel undertone and enhances the natural sweetness.
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature: Ensures a tender crumb and adds a luxurious richness.
- 1/4 cup canola oil: Keeps the cake moist and soft, even after a few days.
- 2 large eggs: Provide structure and help bind the batter together.
- 2 tsp vanilla extract: Adds a heavenly aroma that complements the other ingredients perfectly.
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour: The base that holds everything together, creating a fluffy texture.
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder: Gives the cake its airy rise and lightness.
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon: Infuses warm notes and complements the banana flavor.
- 1/2 tsp baking soda: Works alongside the baking powder to ensure a tender crumb.
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom: Adds a touch of exotic intrigue to the cake’s profile.
- 1/4 tsp salt: Balances out the sweetness and enhances the overall flavors.
- 1/2 cup milk: Creates moisture and contributes to the cake’s tenderness.
- 1 cup bananas, very ripe, mashed: The star ingredient that brings natural sweetness and a delightful banana taste.
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips: Small morsels of happiness sprinkled throughout the cake.
Substitutions & Additions
Feel free to customize this recipe to suit your preferences or accommodate dietary restrictions. Here are a few substitutions and additional ingredients you can consider:
- Flour alternatives: If you’re looking for a gluten-free option, replace the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free flour blend. For a healthier twist, try using whole wheat flour instead.
- Sweetener of choice: Swap the brown sugar with maple syrup, honey, or coconut sugar for a different flavor profile.
- Butter alternatives: You can use melted coconut oil or vegetable oil as a substitute for butter if you prefer a dairy-free version.
- Nuts and dried fruits: Add a delightful crunch by mixing in some chopped walnuts or pecans. You can also toss in a handful of dried cranberries or raisins for extra bursts of sweetness.
How to Make this Recipe
Now that we’ve gathered our ingredients, let’s dive into the process of creating this irresistible snack cake. To achieve baking perfection, start by preheating the oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a rectangular baking dish or line it with parchment paper for easy removal later.
In a large mixing bowl, cream together the brown sugar, butter, and canola oil until they become light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla extract.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, cardamom, and salt. Gradually add this dry mixture to the wet ingredients, alternating with the milk. Gently fold in the mashed bananas and chocolate chips until well combined.
Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and smooth the top with a spatula. Bake for approximately 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Once baked, remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Cooking Tips & Tricks
To ensure your Chocolate Chip Banana Snack Cake turns out perfectly every time, consider the following tips and variations:
- Banana ripeness: The riper the bananas, the sweeter and more flavorful your cake will be. So don’t be afraid to use those slightly overripe ones!
- Mashing techniques: For an extra burst of banana goodness, leave some small chunks or use a fork to mash them coarsely instead of pureeing them completely.
- Add-ins: Experiment with different add-ins like shredded coconut, peanut butter chips, or even a drizzle of caramel sauce on top before baking.
- Frosting or glaze: If you want to take this snack cake up a notch, consider spreading a cream cheese frosting over the cooled cake or drizzling a simple powdered sugar glaze on top before serving.
Once your Chocolate Chip Banana Snack Cake has cooled to perfection, it’s time to think about how to enjoy it best. Here are a few serving suggestions that will take this delightful treat to the next level:
- Warm with a scoop of ice cream: Serve a slice warm from the oven with a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream. The combination of the warm cake and cold ice cream is simply divine.
- Accompanied by a hot beverage: Enjoy your snack cake with a steaming cup of coffee, tea, or hot chocolate for a cozy and indulgent experience.
- Topped with whipped cream: Add a dollop of homemade whipped cream to each slice for an added touch of decadence.
- Perfect for breakfast: Slice your snack cake and savor a piece in the morning alongside a cup of coffee or a glass of milk. It’s a great way to start your day!
Now that your taste buds have been tantalized, you may be wondering how to store any leftovers (if there are any!). Here’s what you need to know:
- To maintain maximum freshness, store the snack cake in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3-4 days.
- If you’re planning to keep it for longer, tightly wrap individual slices in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and freeze them for up to 2 months. The frozen cake can be thawed at room temperature when you’re ready to enjoy it.
Can I use frozen bananas instead of ripe ones? Absolutely! Just make sure to thaw them completely and drain off any excess liquid before mashing.
Can I replace the chocolate chips with other types of chocolate? Of course! You can customize the recipe by using white chocolate, dark chocolate chunks, or even peanut butter chips instead.
Can I make this cake in muffin form? Definitely! Simply divide the batter into a greased or lined muffin tin and bake for approximately 20-25 minutes.
Can I add frosting on top? Absolutely! Cream cheese frosting or a thin glaze would be a fantastic addition to this delightful snack cake.
Can I double the recipe to make a larger cake? Yes, you can easily double the ingredients to make a larger batch. Just adjust the baking time accordingly.
In conclusion, Chocolate Chip Banana Snack Cake is a playful, approachable, and mouthwatering treat that will delight your taste buds. With its perfect balance of bananas and chocolate chips, it’s a snack cake that’s sure to become a favorite in your household.
Whether you enjoy it warm, cold, or with a scoop of ice cream, this recipe offers endless possibilities for indulgence. So go ahead, gather your ingredients, and let the baking adventure begin!
Chocolate Chip Banana Snack Cake
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup bananas very ripe, mashed
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F then coat the bottom of an 8×8 square baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. Line the bottom with parchment paper; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, or using an electric mixer, beat the brown sugar, butter, and oil together until fluffy; about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, then add the eggs and vanilla, one at a time, beating between each addition.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cardamom, and salt to the bowl. Mix together gently just until incorporated. Alternate adding the mashed bananas and milk while mixing between each addition. Stir in the chocolate chips being sure not to overmix your batter.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan. Bake at 350° F for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out mostly clean. Let cool to room temperature before inverting onto a wire rack and removing parchment to cool completely.