Hey there, fellow food enthusiasts! Today, I’m going to share with you a delightful treat that’s not only super easy to make but also bound to put a smile on your face: Cake Mix Donuts. As a busy wife and mom of four, I’m always on the lookout for quick and delicious recipes that my family will love, and these donuts have become a household favorite.
In this post, we’ll dive into the world of homemade donuts using a simple cake mix as our secret weapon. I’ll guide you through every step of the process in a casual and friendly way, just like we’re cooking together in the kitchen.
Plus, I’ve sprinkled in some stories and tips along the way to make your baking experience even more enjoyable. So, let’s get started and learn how to make these scrumptious Cake Mix Donuts!
Table of Contents
Why You’ll Love this Recipe
Now, you might be wondering why you should bother making donuts from cake mix when you can easily buy them. Well, here are a few reasons why you’ll fall head over heels for this recipe:
- Quick and Easy: These donuts are a breeze to make, and you’ll have a fresh batch ready in no time, perfect for busy mornings or unexpected sweet cravings.
- Customizable: You can play around with different cake mix flavors and glaze options to create donuts that suit your family’s taste preferences. It’s a versatile recipe that adapts to your creativity.
- Kid-Friendly: If you have little ones at home, they’ll have a blast helping you decorate these donuts with colorful sprinkles. It’s a fantastic family activity!
- Budget-Friendly: Making your own donuts is more cost-effective than buying them from a bakery. Plus, you can control the ingredients and make them as wholesome as you like.
- Pure Deliciousness: The taste? Simply divine! These donuts are soft, moist, and bursting with flavor. They’ll have you hooked from the very first bite.
Let’s break down the key ingredients you’ll need for these Cake Mix Donuts:
- 1 (16.25 oz) box cake mix: Choose your favorite flavor – vanilla, chocolate, or something more exotic!
- 2 large eggs: These provide structure and moisture to the donuts.
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil: Adds a touch of richness and moistness.
- 3/4 cup milk: Gives the batter a creamy consistency.
For the glaze:
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter (melted): Enhances the glaze’s flavor and texture.
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar: Sweetens and thickens the glaze.
- 3 Tbsp milk: Achieves the desired consistency for dipping.
- Rainbow sprinkles: For that extra pop of color and fun!
Substitutions & Additions
Now, let’s talk about some substitutions and additions you can make to tailor this recipe to your liking:
- Glaze Variations: Experiment with different flavors by adding a splash of vanilla extract, almond extract, or even some lemon zest to the glaze.
- Dietary Preferences: If you’re looking for a healthier option, try using a low-sugar or sugar-free cake mix, and consider using almond milk instead of regular milk.
- Add-Ins: Get creative by folding in some mini chocolate chips, crushed nuts, or dried fruit into the batter for added texture and flavor.
How to Make this Recipe
Now, here’s a step-by-step guide on how to whip up these delightful Cake Mix Donuts:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Don’t forget to grease your donut pan with non-stick cooking spray to ensure easy removal later.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the dry cake mix, eggs, vegetable oil, and milk. Give it a good whisk until all the ingredients are well incorporated. You’ll end up with a smooth, thick batter.
- To make filling the donut pan a breeze, transfer the batter into a gallon-sized plastic bag. Snip off a small portion of one corner to create a makeshift piping bag.
- Squeeze the donut mix into the prepared donut pan, filling each cup about halfway. This will give your donuts that classic donut shape.
- Pop the donut pan into the preheated oven and bake for 12-14 minutes. Keep a close eye on them – you want the tops to turn a lovely golden brown.
- Once baked, allow the donuts to cool in the pan for about 5-10 minutes. This helps them set. Afterward, transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Cooking Tips & Tricks
Achieving the perfect Cake Mix Donuts is a piece of cake, but here are some tips to ensure they turn out just right:
- Don’t Overmix: When combining the ingredients, mix just until everything is incorporated. Overmixing can lead to dense donuts.
- Glaze Consistency: Adjust the glaze thickness to your liking by adding more or less milk. A thicker glaze will cling more, while a thinner one will create a delicate drizzle.
Now, let’s talk about how to enjoy these delectable donuts:
- Classic: Dip your freshly baked donuts into the glaze, and while the glaze is still wet, add some rainbow sprinkles for a burst of color and crunch.
- Ice Cream Sandwich: Slice a donut in half and sandwich a scoop of your favorite ice cream in between for an epic dessert.
- Breakfast Bliss: Pair these donuts with a cup of hot coffee or a glass of cold milk for the ultimate breakfast treat.
- Donut Holes: Instead of using a donut pan, form small balls of dough and bake them to create adorable donut holes.
Now, what if you can’t devour all the donuts at once? No worries! Here’s how to store them:
- Room Temperature: If you plan to eat them within a day or two, store them in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Freezing: To keep them fresh for longer, freeze the unglazed donuts in an airtight container. When you’re ready to enjoy, thaw and glaze them.
Can I make these donuts ahead of time? Absolutely! You can prepare the donuts in advance and store them in an airtight container. Glaze them right before serving for the best freshness.
Can I use a different type of milk? Yes, you can! You can substitute regular milk with almond milk, soy milk, or any other milk alternative of your choice.
Can I make mini donuts with this recipe? Of course! Just use a mini donut pan and adjust the baking time accordingly. Mini donuts are perfect for parties or bite-sized indulgence.
In summary, these Cake Mix Donuts are a delightful addition to any breakfast table or afternoon snack time. They’re simple to make, customizable to your tastes, and a real crowd-pleaser.
So, grab your ingredients and let’s bake up some delicious memories together. Don’t forget to share your creations with #CakeMixDonuts – I can’t wait to see your donut masterpieces! Enjoy every sweet bite, and happy baking, my friends!
Cake Mix Donuts
- 1 (16.25 oz) box cake mix
- 2 large egg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp milk
- rainbow sprinkles optional
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray donut pan with non-stick cooking spray, set aside.
- Whisk together dry cake mix, egg, vegetable oil, and water until combined.
- Pour batter into a large, gallon sized plastic bag and snip off small portion of one corner. Squeeze donut mix into prepared donut pan until cups are about 1/2 full.
- Bake at 350° F for 12-14 minutes. Let donuts cool in pan for about 5-10 minutes then remove and let cool completely on wire rack.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together butter, powdered sugar, and milk until just combined.
- Dip the cooled donut about 1/2 way into the glaze then lift and turn sideways to let extra run off. Place back on wire cooling rack.
- Repeat with remaining donuts.
- Top with optional sprinkles and enjoy!