Summer is coming up quick and I cannot believe that it is actually March already! Why do the years just fly by faster and faster every year?
Anyway, with summer on the way are all the delicious summer fruits and veggies. It’s my second favorite part of summer – right behind the gorgeous warm weather and sunny days.
This Truffle Quinoa & Veggies is actually inspired by a dish that I ate while out at a new restaurant in town, Silver Harbor Brewing. I’m always up for trying new beer and new restaurants so when I heard about them, I was totally on board.
I went there with the hubby and his friend who came to visit last summer and he ordered this truffle quinoa cauliflower dish they had. I ordered the kimchi burger – which was delicious – but when I saw his dish I mad it my mission to go back so I could try the truffle cauliflower.
When I saw it come out of the kitchen to the table I was very surprised. They roasted a whole cauliflower and put it over a bed of quinoa and summer veggies. I was not expecting it to be a whole cauliflower but it definitely made a statement.
It turned out to be just as amazing as I had hoped it would be and was led to believe because of all the other amazing food and beer they had there. After having the cauliflower and heading home I started to crave it. As much as I wanted to just go back and order another one, I knew it wasn’t feasible.
So I set out to try and make a similar dish myself with some fresh summer veggies and the bottle of truffle oil that I had in the pantry that I actually found at TJ Maxx of all places – seriously, you can find everything there.
Anyway, after a few tries and taste tests, I think I did a pretty good job of trying to recreate that dish. Just minus the whole roasted cauliflower. Instead of making an entrée like that one was, I wanted to make more of a side that would go with the steak that the hubby was cooking that night.
Truffle Quinoa & Veggies
- In a medium pot, cook quinoa according to package directions. Transfer to large bowl.
- While quinoa is cooking, heat large skillet over medium-high heat. Add zucchini in single layer and cook, without stirring, until zucchini is slightly browned. Stir and season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to medium and add sliced yellow and red peppers. Cook, stirring occasionally, until veggies are slightly soft.
- Remove from heat and stir into quinoa. Add green onions, chopped almonds, and chopped cilantro leaves. Season again with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Just before serving, drizzle with truffle oil and stir gently.