Spring and summer time grilling is right around the corner!
This is a great recipe that is light but still filling while tasting absolutely great.
There is a little bit of heat to the chicken which you can change depending on how much cayenne you want to add, but the avocado and tomato salad will cool it down to give the dish some balance.
I suggest a marinade time of at least 2 hrs but you can always extend that. Chicken usually does well with extended marinade time.
Make sure to leave the chicken skin on so I avoids drying out on the grill. I usually grill the chicken on low heat to make sure it cooks the center, then turn up the heat at the end to crisp it up.
Have fun with this recipe and feel free to experiment with the level of paprika, chili, and different types of red or yellow curry seasoning depending on what type of flavors you like.
Southwestern Chicken with Avocado Tomato Salad
- 6 bone-in chicken legs & thighs
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground paprika
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 large tomatoes diced
- 2 avocados peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 green onion chopped
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 jalapeño sliced
- Add chicken to large gallon bag and add all spice ingredients. Seal bag and shake to combine and coat all the chicken. Place in refrigerator for 2 hours to let marinate.
- While chicken is marinating, you can prepare the salad. In a large bowl, combine, tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, and green onion. Season with salt and pepper. Squeeze lime juice over top and stir gently to combine. Top with jalapeño slices. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- When chicken is done marinating, remove from bag onto grill heated to low. Grill chicken for 15-20 minutes, turning occasionally, until chicken is done.
- Serve topped with avocado salad.