It was such a beautiful weekend out this weekend. The sun is finally starting to peak through the fog of winter and show it’s beautiful face once again.
Even though it’s been spring for a while, it’s been super cold and rainy for the past couple months. I am in serious need of some Vitamin D therapy (haha) and am so happy that it’s sunny out again.
This past week was spring break and we had originally planned on heading for a little vacation in Florida – per the usual. However, the scheduler where the hubby works had some different ideas and scheduled him to work on the day we had planned on leaving.
Needless to say I had to cancel the plans and we ended up having a stay-cation instead.
While a stay-cation isn’t terrible, it wasn’t what I wanted to do or had planned on. And the fact that it rained almost every day this week made me just a little bitter that we had to cancel our plans.
In all actuality, it didn’t turn out to be that bad. We headed to Grand Rapids to do a little shopping and go to one of my favorite breweries there: Founders.
I really love that place. They have great beer and great food and a great ambiance. The trifecta for great dining experience.
Anyway, enough with the yammering on. I made a super simple sausage & rice skillet for you. I actually saw this recipe on an ad in one of the magazines that started showing up at my door and I thought I would give it a try.
I had some smoked sausage in the fridge, because my kids love it, and thought making something different than my usual, lazy smoked sausage dinner was in order.
Turned out pretty fantastic and might just start making this my usual, lazy dinner instead. Plus, mozzarella cheese. Uh yeah.
Sausage & Rice Skillet
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 (14 oz) package smoked sausage sliced
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 yellow onion sliced
- 2 cups broccoli
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups white rice cooked
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large sauté pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat and add garlic. Cook, stirring frequently for 2-3 minutes or until garlic is fragrant.
- Add smoked sausages and cook until browned on both sides; about 6-8 minutes.
- Add bell pepper, onion, broccoli and chicken broth. Stir to combine and bring to simmer. Let cook until vegetable are soft and water is absorbed; about 6-8 minutes.
- Add rice and tomato sauce, stir to combine and cook until heated through; about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, top with mozzarella cheese and serve.