This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SummerToGo #CollectiveBias This content is intended for readers who are 21 or older.
I blinked and September is here and summer is just about over. Or is it?
I feel like Labor Day is unofficially labeled as the end of summer and the beginning of fall.
And since Labor Day has not yet arrived, I am doing my best to try and squeeze every last drop of summer out of these last fleeting days.
What better way to celebrate the last days of summer and Labor Day than to have a backyard BBQ with all your friends and family?
It’s like the last “hoorah” of summer. So if you do decide to have a little celebration, I have the perfect burger and wine pairing for you!
I’m huge burger and red wine fan so I recently decided to try and combine two of my favorite things. The combination resulted in some killer red wine cheeseburgers made from Black Box Cabernet Sauvignon. How can you go wrong with that?
And yes, I just recommended you a boxed wine. Gasp!
Let’s get this straight, not all boxed wines are created equal. As much as I don’t like to admit, I have had my fair share of boxed wine. My aunt drinks them religiously and used to always buy the one that was one sale or the cheapest to bring to our parties.
Well, we can all guess how that goes. True that price and quality don’t always go hand in hand but in the case of her and the wine… it was terrible. I secretly think she did that so no one would drink her wine.
However, recently I was introduced to Black Box Wines and all my speculations and stereotypes of boxed wines were thrown in the trash. This wine is actually fantastic!
I mean, it has to be since Black Box has won over 50 gold medals for it’s quality wine. Bonus that it’s available for 40% less that comparable bottled wines and stays fresh for up to 6 weeks.
Who am I kidding… there is no way wine lasts in my house for 6 weeks! Ha!
Black Box Wines are perfect for your next backyard BBQ with friends and family because you can have enough wine for your entire party and eat it too.
Plus, with the quality of Black Box Wines people won’t complain about their drink choice.
So grab all your friends and family, a box of Cabernet Sauvignon, and get to grilling for Labor Day and the last days of summer.
I promise that these red wine burgers will not disappoint.
Red Wine Cheeseburgers
- 2 cups red wine
- 2 Tbsp packed light brown sugar
- 1 large yellow onion thinly sliced
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 lb ground beef
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- 6 hamburger buns
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine brown sugar and wine stirring until dissolved. Bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer for about 20-25 minutes to reduce wine to about 1 cup. Let cool to room temperature.
- While wine is reducing, caramelize onions in medium saute pan. Add 1/4 cup of red wine reduction to onions and saute for additional 2-3 minutes to combine flavors.
- In large bowl, loosely combine ground beef, egg, bread crumbs, and salt and pepper. Add 1/3 cup room temperature wine reduction and fully mix to incorporate with the beef – being careful not to overmix.
- Pre-heat grill to medium-high and form 6 burger patties with the ground beef mixture. Place patties on grill and cook to desired doneness, about 4-6 minutes per side. Top with cheese and cook for additional 1 minute to let cheese melt.
- Stack burgers on the bottom burger bun, top with caramelized onions, and drizzle with remaining red wine reduction. Finish topping with your favorite ingredients, top of bun, and serve immediately.