We’re only a couple weeks into the new year and I’m already over the cold weather. Even when we lived in Michigan, as soon as Christmas was over I was ready for it to be warm again.
I just function better in warmer weather. I’m much more active and get so much more done during warmer months than during cold.
So in anticipation of warmer weather, I’m sharing this delicious Mediterranean orzo salad with ya’ll today. It’s a super simple toss-together salad made with a ton of fresh veggies and tossed in a red wine vinegar and lemon based dressing.
Start by boiling a pot of water over high heat and cooking the orzo according to package directions until done; about 8-10 minutes.
Once the pasta is done, drain and toss with 1Tbsp of olive oil to prevent from sticking together. Place the pasta into the fridge until cooled.
Make the dressing by adding all the dressing ingredients into a mason jar or small bowl. Cover the mason jar and shake vigorously or whisk all the ingredients fully if using a bowl.
Once the pasta is cooled, add all the chopped veggies and toss well to combine. Pour the dressing over top and toss again to fully combine. Taste and season with salt and pepper to taste, tossing in between additions.
Place back into the fridge for additional 30 minutes or so to let the dressing soak into the pasta and veggies.
Top with additional feta cheese and serve!
This salad is perfect for your next get together or just to make a batch ahead of time and eat for lunches throughout the week.
Mediterranean Orzo Salad
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp fresh dill
- 1 Tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 Tbsp fresh oregano
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 lb orzo pasta
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 medium cucumber diced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas drained
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves chiffonade
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 1/2 large red onion sliced thin
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- In a large pot, add water and cook orzo according to package directions until al dents; about 8-10 minutes.
- Drain and toss with olive oil, butter, and season with small amount of salt and pepper. Set in refrigerator to cool.
- Add all dressing ingredients into a medium bowl and whisk thoroughly to combine. Alternatively, you can add all the ingredients to a medium mason jar (or jar with lid), cover and shake thoroughly to combine.
- Once the veggies are done being shopped and the orzo is cool, add all the veggies and orzo to a large bowl. Mix to combine and pour the dressing over top.
- Toss again to combine and coat the entire salad with dressing. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper, if desired.