Happy December, ya’ll! I cannot believe that we are at the end of another year. The end of another decade!
I do have to say that this past decade was as kind to me as it was cruel. There was a lot of happiness and also a lot of pain. It’s been a crazy ride the past 10 years and I’m happy to be coming out stronger and better than going into it.
Since it’s the last month of the year, I’ve got 2 brand new recipes for you. First up, this ginger soy beef & broccoli. Then later in the month I’ve got a sweet NYE cocktail for you to whip up and enjoy!
I’ve been making this ginger soy beef for a few months now and it’s a family favorite of ours. Plus, it’s stupid simple to make – which is always a win for me.
As much as I love being in the kitchen trying, testing, and making new recipes… I don’t love complicated ones. With 4 kiddos, simple and delicious is the way to go.
It starts with a sauce base of soy sauce, chicken broth, brown sugar, and corn starch for a little thickener. You also coat the thinly sliced sirloin with cornstarch to help the sauce to coat the steak a little more.
Sear and brown the steak in a super-hot cast iron skillet first before adding any of the veggies or sauce. Of course you can use a regular skillet, also, and I have tried it both ways but I do feel that cast iron cooks better.
After getting the steak browned, remove it from the pan and quickly cook the broccoli, scallions, ginger, and garlic. You want the veggies cooked and the flavors to meld together but you don’t want them overcooked and mushy. So make sure to watch and stir them frequently.
Once the broccoli is flash cooked, add the steak back to the pan with the sauce mixture. You just want to warm the steak through and get the sauce to coat the beef and thicken slightly.
Serve over a bed of rice, if desired, garnished with extra scallions and some sesame seeds.
Ginger Soy Beef & Broccoli
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp packed light brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp corn starch divided
- 1 lb sirloin steak thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp canola oil divided
- 6 cups broccoli florets fresh
- 1/2 cup scallions sliced
- 1 Tbsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- white rice cooked
- sesame seeds
- In a small bowl, whisk soy sauce, chicken broth, brown sugar, and 1 Tbsp corn starch.
- In a separate bowl, toss steak with remaining corn starch.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, heat 2 Tbsp canola oil over medium-high heat. Add steak and cook, turning only once, until browned; about 6-8 minutes. Transfer to clean plate.
- Heat remaining canola oil and add broccoli florets. Cook, stirring occasionally until slightly tender; about 3-4 minutes.
- Add scallions, ginger, garlic; stir to combine; cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add steak, along with sauce mixture, to pan and stir to combine. Cook, heating steak through, for 1-2 minutes until sauce thickens slightly.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately over rice and garnished with additional sliced scallions and sesame seeds.