Happy Friday, lovelies! I am super excited that it’s Friday and cannot wait for the weekend.
No, there isn’t anything special going on but I just like having time off with the hubby and babies. I don’t work on the weekends and usually just unplug and try not to use social media or be on my phone, computer, or iPad for any given period of time.
It’s nice to have some downtime and not have to worry about anything.
Anyway, I’m also super excited because there is still some of this delicious eggnog coffee cake left in the fridge just waiting to be devoured with a hot cup of coffee in the morning… just like I did this morning.
I’ve made a few different coffee cake type recipes before – like these coffee cake muffins and this pumpkin coffee cake – so I thought it was time to add one of my favorite seasonal ingredients to a coffee cake recipe: eggnog!
Eggnog has made its debut on the blog in some waffles and a delish, boozy eggnog shake and these cookies but not yet into one of my favorite desserts/breakfast foods. Because, ya know, coffee cake is suitable for breakfast or dessert.
So here we are… eggnog coffee cake. Light and fluffy – as you can see with how high it rose – and has the perfect crumb texture and streusel topping. Dust the top with a little powdered sugar and you’re set.
You could totally make this recipe into muffins instead. Just be sure to adjust the cooking time to 20-22 minutes and check for doneness of the cake by inserting a toothpick in the center and making sure it comes out clean. Then you’ll have perfectly portion-controlled muffin sizes.
Haha, who am I kidding… portion control muffins don’t work.
Go ahead and indulge. It’s the holidays after all.
Eggnog Coffee Cake
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup eggnog
- 8 oz sour cream
- 1 tsp rum extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp eggnog
- Preheat oven to 350° F and grease bottom of 9 x 9 pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Beat in eggnog, sour cream, rum extract, and eggs until well blended.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and mix until just combined. Spread into bottom of pan.
- In a small bowl, mix all streusel topping ingredients together with fork until crumbly. Sprinkle crumb topping over cake batter.
- Bake at 350° F for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- While cake is cooling, whisk together powdered sugar and eggnog for the glaze. After cake is cool, drizzle over top of cake and top with extra powdered sugar.