Cookie season is upon us and these chewy vanilla sugar cookies are my newest obsession. I love a nice chewy cookie as opposed to crunchy and these fit the bill perfectly.
These aren’t your traditional rolled sugar cookie either, they are drop cookies instead so it takes less time to make and bake when the cookie craving hits.
Start by heating your over to 350° F and lining a cookie sheet with parchment paper or spraying with nonstick cooking spray. I prefer the parchment because you don’t have to spray again between batches and you can use the parchment over and over until you’re done baking.
Add your room temperature butter to the bowl of a stand mixer or a large bowl to use electric beaters. Pour in the powdered sugar and cream together with the butter for 3-4 minutes.
Add your egg, vanilla, and vegetable oil and mix again to fully combine all the ingredients, making sure there are no lumps of butter in the batter.
Add in your flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt then mix again to fully combine and let the dough come together.
While that is working for the last minute, add some granulated sugar to a shallow dish or small bowl.
Using a cookie scoop, scoop the dough out by rounded balls and roll in the granulated sugar then place on the cookie sheet, one by one.
Bake at 350° F for 8-10 minutes until the edges are just set and the tops begin to crackle. Remove from the oven and let cool on the baking sheet for 1-2 minutes – just long enough to allow the cookies to be scraped into a cooling rack.
Let them cool completely then enjoy!
Honestly, my kids never let the cookies cool completely before they start eating them without telling me. I usually just come back into the kitchen and find a few gone from the cooling rack.
Chewy Vanilla Sugar Cookies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350° F and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, or using electric beaters, cream together the butter and powdered sugar. Add egg, vanilla extract, and vegetable oil and mix to combine.
- Add flour, baking soda and powder, and salt and mix to fully combine.
- Scoop dough out using cookie scoop or by the Tablespoonful and roll into a ball. Coat ball in the granulated sugar and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake at 350° F for 8-9 minutes until edges are just set. Allow to cool on baking sheet for 2 minutes then remove to wire rack to cool completely.