Yay! Here we are with my first recipe post in the new house!
Well, actually, I pre-published this post and it’s coming at you while I’m unloading the moving truck and moving into said new house. Haha!
We spent the past 2 1/2 days on the road driving down here, rushed to put together the kiddos cribs, pulled out the other mattresses from the trailer, and slept on them on the floor.
Moving is such hard work, I really don’t want to ever do it again!
I’m also just going to throw this out there that the recipe will probably be one of the first meals we make in the new kitchen because it’s so easy, one pot, simple.
Plus the fact that I won’t have a full working kitchen for a few days or maybe a week. So one pot meals are right up my alley.
The kitchen is usually the first thing I unpack and organize but currently the kiddos take priority and I need to get their things together first. Then I’ll tackle the kitchen.
Also, I’m not 100% sure where to put all the things in my new kitchen. I usually have to live in it for a little while and figure out my work flow before things are permanently placed. I think my old kitchen took three tries to get it organized correctly.
This one might be a little easier since it’s so much bigger. Maybe?
Anyway, this Cajun chicken skillet pasta is one of my kids favorites as of late. It has a creamy, slightly spicy sauce made with a homemade Cajun seasoning blend, chicken broth, and cream cheese that just coats the pasta and chicken perfectly.
Toss it with a can of diced tomatoes with green chilies for a little green brightness and chili flavor.
Let it cook all together until the pasta is tender then top with fresh shredded parmesan cheese and a few green onions for more color and you have a super simple weeknight meal on the dinner table in less than 40 minutes.
Cajun Chicken Skillet Pasta
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1/2 lb pasta of choice
- 15 oz (can) diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 oz cream cheese quartered
- 3 green onions sliced
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Add the diced chicken to a large bowl and sprinkle with all the seasoning ingredients. Toss thoroughly to combine and coat all the chicken pieces.
- In a large deep skillet, add olive oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes per side until almost cooked through.
- Add diced onion and continue cooking until onion is slightly translucent and soft.
- Pour chicken broth into pan to deglaze and scrape small browned bits from bottom of pan. Then add diced tomatoes and pasta, stir to combine, and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cream cheese and stir to combine, letting the cream cheese melt into the sauce.
- Remove from heat, top with green onions and parmesan cheese and serve immediately.