We are officially on vacation! Well, actually not really… just yet… as I’m writing this post a couple days before we actually leave but when you read it we will be!
These beer soft pretzels were actually made a few months ago for my besties baby shower.
I wrote about that a little here but basically I was asked to make all the food for the shower.
Originally I wanted to plan and host the whole thing but another friend of ours took over super early before I even had the chance to think about it. Haha – product of mom life and being busy all the time.
So even though she planned and organized it, she asked me to make the apps and snacks for it while people were there.
Since my bestie decided to not have baby shower games, I knew that the food needed to be epic so that people actually wanted to stay and hang out at the party beyond just mingling and gift giving.
So I made these beer soft pretzels as an adaptation from my original soft pretzel recipe.
Plus, since preggo mommy can’t drink beer she might as well eat it, right? No… just me?
I made these pretzels for the shower in bite sized pieces with a delicious beer cheese dipping sauce. But for this testing I made full sized soft pretzels.
To me, there is nothing better than a warm soft pretzel right out of the oven and these were absolutely perfect.
With my original recipe, I made them a little thinner but with these I wanted to make them big and fluffy like a hot pretzel you would get at the mall or movie theater.
They did not disappoint.
I wanted to make them again for the drive to the Mall of America for our vacation but I didn’t have time. Plus, there’s no way for me to heat them up before eating while driving.
So I’ll just have to make some fresh when we get back home.
Beer Soft Pretzels
- 1 (12 oz) bottle wheat beer
- 2 Tbsp packed light brown sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 cups water
- 2/3 cup baking soda
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 Tbsp water
- coarse salt
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 12 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup beer any kind
- Pour beer into microwave safe bowl and microwave for 20-30 seconds to make just slightly warm, around 110° F.
- Pour warm beer into bowl of stand mixer (or large bowl) and add brown sugar, salt, and yeast. Stir slightly to incorporate. Let sit for 5 minutes until yeast gets foamy.
- Add melted butter and flour and knead with dough hook on low until dough ball is formed and smooth, not sticking to sides of bowl.
- Turn dough out onto floured surface, then lightly oil bowl and return dough ball back to bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm area for about 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- After dough has risen, preheat oven to 425° F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolks and 2 Tbsp water. Set aside.
- In a large pot bring 6 cups of water and baking soda to boil. Reduce heat to simmer.
- While waiting for water to boil (ha) turn dough out onto floured surface and divide into 8 pieces. Roll each piece into a rope about 20″ long then twist into pretzel shape.
- One at a time, place shaped pretzel into simmering baking soda water for 30 seconds. Remove from pot with slotted spoon and place on parchment baking sheet.
- Brush each pretzel with egg yolk wash then sprinkle with coarse salt. Place in hot oven and bake at 425° F for 12-14 minutes until golden brown.
- While pretzels are baking heat butter, cream cheese and milk in small pot to just simmering. Whisk in flour and let simmer for 1 minute to slightly thicken.
- A little at a time, add small handfuls of cheese whisking between each to let cheese melt. Whisk in beer and remove from heat.
- Serve immediately as dipping sauce for pretzels.